Everyone dreads the first job interview after college when the interviewer looks you in the eye and asks you where you want to be in 5 years. I still remember my answer to this question that, surprisingly enough, landed me a job in Florida for 3 years before I tossed in the journalism towel.
Most people like to take their time with questions such as this to come up with a thoughtful answer. Not your insomniac! Instead, diarrhea of the mouth took hold, and I blurted out a very real and honest answer … “I don’t really like to plan that far in advance. I just go with the flow so as not to disappoint myself when things don’t work out as planned.”
My answer was met with a long pause. I immediately wanted to take it back and say, “I see myself working for a fast-growing multimedia company in Destin … blah … blah.” My boss-to-be finally found words to respond to me, “I must say that you have some very interesting answers to my questions. I haven’t heard that before.” Of course, to the disbelief of everyone, I got the job with my brutally honest charm!
5 years from now …
Someone asked me this again today, and I started thinking about 5 years down the road. Where will I be? Do I really want to not have a plan or goal to work toward? Surprisingly, I realized how different I am from my younger 20-something self. I do have goals, and I do have plans. Unfortunately, all of those plans still are not the best answers to give in a job interview …
Without further ado, here are 10 plans on the agenda to accomplish by 2016 (in no particular order) …
- Graduate from nursing school!!!!
- Travel to Ireland
- Move to a bigger city with more exciting adventures and better options for us single gals
- Get into the best physical shape of my life (this includes taking on a trainer and healthier eating)
- Find the man who I want to spend the rest of my life with (Yes, Jim, you were right … guess I am looking for my MRS. Ha!)
- Land an awesome job as a nurse
- Figure out who I am and learn to be comfortable in my own skin for a change
- Purchase a Toyota Corolla (definitely missing Obsidian … Orencia just doesn’t feel right)
- Get a couch and a dining room table (sitting and eating on a coffee table gets a little old)
- Encourage my mom and other members of my family to take control of their health (I love them and want them around for a long time!)
Now it is your turn to tell me where you would like to see yourself in 5 years …